Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eggplant Goddamn

The first time I ever ordered fish I was 19.  The five word story is I ate the skin.  It did not fulfill my maturation in any regard.  I felt the same way about eggplant as I did about about salmon for too long of a time. Ten years later with a dozen or more ignoble attempts I realized: 1) the nightshade makes a poor side; 2) there is a broad line between cooking the hell out of it and slurm; 3) the waiter should have said something.  So this is a good curry for the dark plant.  The skin is softened and lacks the shark skin taffy. 

Thanks to everyone who has ventured into the tar pits of the blogosphere.  It seems archaic, like writing with a stick in the mud. 

*Cook the rice first.  Seriously, I am not trying to be coquettish.

What You Need:
Rice, cooked
1 onion, chopped
1 Eggplant, quartered and sliced
1 sweet potato, cubed
2-4 Tbsp green curry paste
14 oz can coconut milk
1  C vegetable stock
1 Tbsp oil
Additional
2 tsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp lime rind


* If you look closely at the picture you will see red curry paste instead of green.
Stick with green, trust me

Green Curry with Sweet Potato and Eggplant


Heat oil in wok or large frying pan.
Add onion and curry paste--the more the better
Cook, stirring, over medium heat 3 minutes

Add Eggplant, cook 5 minutes

Pour in coconut milk and stock- bring to boil;
then simmer 5 minutes.

Add sweet potato, cook 10 minutes until tender

Stir in brown sugar, lime juice and rind.
Season with salt to taste and serve over rice.

*Don't over do it with the lime juice or it will taste like vomit--fer reals.


Total Time: about 30 minutes, not counting rice
Drink:  Water, Iced
Music:  Calexico


No comments:

Post a Comment