Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teach a Man to Fish and He'll Die of Mercury Poisoning

First, I'd like to say Hallo to whoever is in Germany and checked out my premier post. Danke.

When cooking for two, normally, I will make the full 4-6 servings so we can eat the remainder for lunch the following day.  However, I do not eat left-over fish.  Never.  I'm a single-issue voter when it comes to nuking fish.  It is etched into my soul.  If I live to be old and I am AARPing it up; lacking all forms of lucidity, my care-giver will think I love fish.  "It's all he ever talks about--fish."  They'll put a fish on my urn.  Jesus, this kind of spoiled living drove Kierkegaard's hand.

So, this recipe is cut in half.  I like to cook fish about every other week or so.  Usually I bake or grill and serve with rice.  This recipe calls for pan frying which makes it easy.  All you have do is loosely time it, flip until opaque.

Tilapia lacks flavor. It is an African fish whose etymology goes back to Tswana.  Tilapia literally translates to "fish."  It takes the lime juice well. 

What You'll Need:

2 Tilapia Filets
1 red bell-pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
10 or so pitted green olives


Oils, Herbs, etc.

1/4 C. parsley
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. lime juice
Salt and Pepper



Tilapia with Peppers and Green Olives

Photos by DMG
Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.

Season fish with pinch of salt and pepper and cook 4-5 minutes per side until done.

Meanwhile . . . .

Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in second skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook peppers and onion 8 - 10 minutes, until tender.

Stir in olives, parsley and lime juice.  Season with pinch of salt and pepper.

The green olives really pull the lime and fish together.  I couldn't eat all of it so I'll have a container of 21st century judgment and guilt in the fridge for a week or so.  Spoiled living--bastard.

Total Time
20 minutes
Drink
Green Olive Martini
Music
The Clash


No comments:

Post a Comment