Tuesday, August 16, 2011

This is the One

Seriously.  For reals.  I wish I could put a platinum stamp of approval on every meal I cook.  But the reality is most of the recipes I try are first-time, one-off shots into the great culinary abyss. Many meals cooked will return to wince they came and only be rediscovered again by accident, and then be received by a shrug or "Damn, I think I've had this before."

I've cooked this meal once a year, five years running.  It is a glorious day when my tomato plant groans from the weight of her rudy children and all of the sudden I am awash in ruby wealth.  This is a perfect recipe to deal with the sudden crop of too many tomatoes.   Like I said--this is insane.

What you Need:

4-5 Tomatoes, sliced
3 1/2 oz goat cheese
1 egg yoke with a drop of milk
3 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. basil leaves, shredded
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Crust
1 1/2 C flour
3 Tbsp. cheddar, shredded
3 1/2 oz cold butter, diced
Salt and Pepper


Tomato and Goat Cheese Pie


Crust
Process flour and butter in food processor until crumbly.

Add Cheddar, 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 1/2 Tbsp. H20
Process again in short bursts until dough just comes together.

Turn mixture onto flour surface and form into a ball.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.




Then . . .
photos by DMG

Preheat oven to 350.
Roll out dough on lightly floured surface and make
a crust about 14" in diameter.
Brush most of egg yoke onto crust

*Right now would be a good time to move the
crust to a Pizza stone or greased tray

Sprinkle crust with breadcrumbs.
Layer tomato slices in an overlapping circle,
leaving a wide border.
Crumble goat cheese over tomatoes.

Turn up edge of pastry and brush with remaining
egg yoke.
Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden and cheese is melted.
Then dribble with olive oil and garnish with
basil and pinch of pepper for color.

There you have it.

Total Time
40 minutes
Drink
Agua
Music
Wugazi







No comments:

Post a Comment